Tom Platz’s would be known across the bodybuilding world as the leg freak who would squat over 630 lbs and perform over 50 reps of 350 lbs of squats. It’s hard to tell. He and his wife are currently running a fitness consultation business based in Southern California. I felt that that was the right thing to do. I think people miss that. See actions taken by the people who manage and post content. His legs were crazy strong as well. About See All. Plus, near-perfect mechanics. The bemused members of these gyms told him to come back after he bought some “squat shoes,” a seemingly impossible request to meet. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Any products seen or mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. That particular evening in 1986 was the most memorable, most moving experience I had on the Olympia stage, or any stage. He did just that and became one of the best in the game, thus solidifying his own name as a bodybuilding legend. Tom Platz was the king of legs back in his heyday. See More. After logging in you can close it and return to this page. [ Q ] Had you, however, won the Olympia title, might your career have gone even further? But it happened. None of us had a choice. “Frank said, ‘In two months, you’ll be in all of the magazines. And to tell you the truth, it worked out to where my career, it couldn't have been any fuller over the years. And I look at that and I sort of expected that and understood that. Compared to the '80s (Tom's prime) I'm extremely light now. “I think people respond to the camaraderie back then. I realized that (the overall decision) and honored that and paid it forward. And you get those who will see red and go after it. I happened to have a business background and education, and I knew that I had to market myself as a product. It was a lot to handle, but I enjoyed it immensely and I have very, very fond memories of those years. Platz grew up in the Detroit area and began competing in AAU bodybuilding shows in the early 1970s. Check out the video below, which highlights one of Platz’s hack squat leg day staples. var rcds = document.getElementById("rcjsload_f982a2"); var referer="";try{if(referer=document.referrer,"undefined"==typeof referer||""==referer)throw"undefined"}catch(exception){referer=document.location.href,(""==referer||"undefined"==typeof referer)&&(referer=document.URL)}referer=referer.substr(0,700); In the years after he stopped competing in bodybuilding, Tom fell in love with fast cars, and has recently purchased a brand new Porsche as a gift to himself. Regardless it’s still crazy impressive that Platz is repping through these with awesome depth at close to 62. Platz, now 62 years old, learned that the digital age had brought back the Golden Era in a big way. I never did plan on it; usually you don't plan on those things. I began to tour the world, mostly in Europe, giving training seminars and squat clinics.”. It must anger you in some ways that the judging process sometimes does not seem fair - especially if you are on the receiving end of a bad call. Platz — also known as “The Golden Eagle” or “The Quad Father” — is still regarded to this day to have had some of the best quads in bodybuilding history. Here's the latest about what he is doing and much more. World records, results, training, nutrition, breaking news, and more. These are lessons he would apply the rest of his life in the gym, onstage, and offstage in the boardroom. Honestly, bodybuilding competition is not like golf. By 1981 Tom had reached a full ripped-to-shreds bodyweight of 230 pounds and was owner of the largest muscular legs in the world (appendages that would help make him a household name in the lifting community). He gave me advice on how to manage my money, and how to get the most from my experience in the sport,” says Platz. [ Q ] Was your arm development due to a genetic structural weakness or the injury you sustained? Tom Platz, or "The Quad Father", turned 62 this June and continues to squat big weight with ease. Page Transparency See More. To be recognized for my legs; I tried to play them down when I was getting critiques from Weider and people back in the '80s.

Divine Longsword Dark Souls, Is Silicon A Metal Non-metal Or Metalloid, Best Cocteau Twins Album, Intercontinental Phuket Opening Date, Opposite Of Lucid Dreaming, Ikea Standing Desk Skarsta, Potato Recipes For Baby Led Weaning, Shure Sm48 Vs Sm58, Long Arm Sewing Machine,